Monday, March 24, 2014

Alpha Beta Imprint: Chapter Twenty

Disclaimer: I am not Stephanie Meyer. I do not own Twilight

Chapter Twenty

Bella’s POV

I collapsed onto the couch, my feet popping up in front of me to land on the coffee table. I winced slightly as I toed off the supposedly comfy sneakers. My feet were killing me after being on them all day.

“Whew! Put those puppies away before they start barking!”

I glared over at Collin, my shadow for the day, who was completely unfazed by today’s activities.

“Like you’re one to talk,” I snapped, closing my eyes as I thumped my head against the back of the couch.

“I do not stink!” Collin insisted indignantly.

“No, but you do bark,” I smirked, not bothering to look when he huffed.

“What’s got your panties in a twist?” Collin asked, flopping down beside me.

“Oh. I’m sorry. Were you not aware of anything that happened today?” I asked sarcastically, turning my head to look at him.

“Eh. So a few old biddies can’t keep up with the times. Doesn’t mean anything. Some of them were nice,” Collin shrugged.

“A few? Collin, we went to twelve houses today. Only Mrs. Baker and Ms. Poad were even remotely polite,” I argued.

“Mr. Baker was nice,” Collin pointed out.

I groaned, hitting my head against the couch again.

“Hey. They’ll come around. You just have to have faith and keep at it. Nobody said this was going to be easy,” Collin encouraged, putting an arm around my shoulders.

I looked over at the young man comforting me, surprised at his empathy and maturity, despite his young age. Collin and Brady were the youngest of the pack, barely fifteen. And yet, they were both sweet and polite. Most of the time. Like most boys, they were also loud and rambunctious, but their sweetness made up for it.

“So, Bells. Tell me. Bush or no bush?” Collin asked, wiggling his eyebrows.

“COLLIN!” I squealed, smacking him.

“What? It’s an honest question,” Collin defended.

“You don’t ask girls that!” I scolded.

“I’m not asking ‘girls’, I’m asking you,” Collin grinned.

“You better hope Sam and Jake don’t hear that in your head,” I warned.

“Ah, they won’t do anything. They know I don’t mean anything by it. It’s just curiosity,” Collin waved off.

“Imprint, Collin. That changes the rules about what you can and can’t ask,” I reminded him.

“Eh. You may be right about that,” Collin nodded, frowning thoughtfully.

I smiled, relaxing against the couch again while he thought it over. My feet were no longer throbbing and sleep was steady creeping closer.

“Hey! Stay awake,” Collin demanded, shoving me gently.

“Collin,” I whined, burrowing into the couch.

“Say my name, say my name,” Collin cheered.

“Shut up,” I grumbled, kicking at him.

“Oh, feisty,” Collin teased, grabbing hold of my ankle.

I twisted my foot out of his grip, but he ended up sprawled across my lap. He looked up at me, grinning wickedly.

“So, Bella, which is it? Or are you gonna let me find out for myself?” Collin asked.

“COLLIN!” I screamed, jumping off the couch.

“There you go! Hey, while you’re up, mind fixing something to eat? I’m starving,” Collin complained, rubbing his stomach.

“You… You… You little… Mutt!” I cried, my body trembling in irritation.

“I’m a thoroughbred, actually,” Collin smirked.

“Arg! If you’re hungry, fix something yourself. I’m going to bed,” I growled, storming down the hallway.

“Want some company?” Collin called.

I screamed in frustration, slamming the bedroom door behind me. His laughter floated through the door, irritating me further.

Taking a deep breath, I debated between taking a nap or taking a hot bath. My feet were still sore and the hot water would relax my muscles.

I was in the bathroom before I’d consciously made the decision, stripping out of my clothes. The bathtub, which was just barely big enough for me, filled up rather quickly, steam rising off the water. I sighed, sinking into the hot water, letting it wash the day away.

Sue had been sweet, taking me around with her. I had even helped bake some of the goods, happy to help in any way. I wanted the Quileute people to accept me and if that meant baking cookies and visiting the older people of the tribe, I was willing to do it.

At least, that had been my outlook when I left this morning. Truthfully, I could’ve gone worse, but not by much. Mr. Parker had slammed the door in my face after taking the basket from Sue. Ms. Niles had sneered at me the entire time we’d visited. And then dear Ms. Williams had smiled sweetly while insulting everything about me, from my hair to my skin to the way I talked. Collin had been quick to my defense during that visit, giving the coldhearted woman just what she dished out.

“Thinking hard or hardly thinking?”

I screamed, splashing water on the floor as I jumped at the voice beside me.

“Easy, sweetheart. It’s just me,” Sam soothed, reaching out to cup my neck.

“You scared the bajeebies out of me,” I accused, trying to catch my breath.

“Sorry. I thought you heard me come in,” Sam apologized sheepishly.

“I was a little caught up thinking about my day,” I admitted, sinking deeper into the water.

“How was it?” Sam asked lightly, his thumb brushing across my cheek.

“It could’ve been worse, but it could’ve been much better,” I told him, leaning into his touch.

“I’m sorry. I wish Jake and I could’ve gone with you,” Sam frowned.

“I think that probably would have made it worse,” I smiled softly, rubbing his arm.

“It would’ve made me feel better,” Sam grumbled, leaning forward to kiss me.

“I doubt it. Some of them weren’t very nice. It’s probably a good thing neither of you were there,” I claimed.

“What happened exactly?” Sam asked, his brows furrowed in anger.

“Nothing you need to worry about. We knew we were going to have people against this. It’s okay. I’m okay with it. Hopefully things will blow over, but even if they don’t, it doesn’t matter. All that matters is that I’m with you and Jake,” I assured him, my finger threading through his short hair.

“I love you,” Sam murmured, kissing me sweetly.

“I love you, too,” I grinned.

“Jake should be home soon and then we were planning on having a bonfire down at the beach. I think everyone needs it to unwind after the weekend we just had,” Sam admitted wryly.

“Oh! Fun! Help me dry off,” I demanded, holding out my hands for him to lift me.

He helped me out of the tub and dried me off, his hands lingering on my skin, making me shiver.

“Maybe we could be a few minutes late,” Sam suggested, pulling me close.

“No, no. I want to see Kim. I haven’t seen her since the last bonfire and we haven’t talked in forever. You and Jake will just have to wait until tonight,” I insisted.

“Go put some clothes on then, woman. Otherwise, I make no promises,” Sam warned, swatting at my butt as I rushed into the bathroom.

I squealed happily as he chased after me, his arms fitting around my waist as he swung me into the closet.

“Sam!” I laughed, slapping his arm playfully.

“Get dressed, sweetheart. I’ll be in the kitchen getting the hot dogs together,” Sam winked.

“Did you get the extra-long ones? You know how much I love those,” I called after him suggestively.

I heard his laugh as he walked further away, not bothering to respond. As I slipped on my clothes for the night, I couldn’t help but smile happily, looking forward to a night with the pack.


“BELLA!”

I grunted as a body slammed into mine, causing us both to crash back into the sand.

“Ow! Kim!” I complained, hand going to my ribs.

“I was so worried! Jared told me what happened but he said I couldn’t call you but I tried anyway and your phone was off and he said you were hurt and that bitch Emily did this to you and that Jake and Sam were really pissed and you’re going to file charges and-“

“Jesus, Kim! Breathe,” I commanded, patting her shoulder.

“Oh,” Kim gasped before promptly bursting into tears.

“I was so scared!” Kim wailed, clutching me tighter.

“Kim! Ribs!” I gasped, struggling to breathe.

“Jesus, baby. What the hell’s gotten into you?” Jared frowned, hurrying towards us.

“Don’t yell at me!” Kim cried, slapping his arms away.

“Kim, let Bella go. Come on, baby. Jake and Sam are starting to shake,” Jared wheedled.

I looked up and back, getting more sand in my hair, to see Sam and Jake were trembling slightly, their eyes fastened on Kim as she clung to me.

“Kim, I’m fine. Let me up, please,” I requested sweetly.

She sniffled loudly before sitting up, bringing me with her.

“Promise me you won’t get hurt ever again,” Kim demanded, pulling back enough to glare at me.

“I promise,” I agreed, realizing she was completely irrational at this point.

“Good. Jared, quit hovering. Damn it, I’m fine,” Kim snapped, standing up and brushing the sand off her.

I stood up, frowning in confusion with Jared as Kim glared at him angrily.

“Everything okay, Kim?” I asked tentatively.

“Everything’s just great, Bella. Thanks for asking,” Kim answered sarcastically.

“O-kay,” I drawled.

“Are you alright, sweetheart?” Sam asked, taking my arm to spin me around gently.

“I’m fine. She just reminded me the bruises aren’t completely gone,” I assured him, smiling weakly.

Jake came up behind me and kissed over his mark, making me shiver in hyperawareness. Sam gave me a knowing grin, kissing me briefly. I pouted when he pulled away, but he simply laughed at me.

“Come on, honey. I think we need to go save Jared and you need to talk to Kim,” Jake chuckled, taking my free hand and tugging me towards the fire.

“What’s going on with them?” I asked.

“No idea. Jared says she’s been like this for the past few days, but she won’t tell him anything. Maybe she’ll open up to you,” Jake informed me.

“I’ll try,” I sighed, moving towards her.

Sam and Jake stayed back, watching me as I carefully made my way towards our usual log.

“Hey, Jared. Sam and Jake want to talk to you,” I told him, smiling.

“Oh. Okay. Thanks,” Jared nodded.

I waved as he walked away, his shoulder hunched. I gave a small sigh as I settled down beside Kim, stretching my legs out in front of me.

“So, Kim. What’s up?” I asked, facing the fire.

“Nothing,” Kim huffed.

I snorted in obvious disbelief.

“Seriously, Bella. It’s nothing,” Kim insisted, her voice hard.

I looked over to see her glaring into the fire, her forehead wrinkled in concentration.

“Look, Kim. I’m willing to let it go, if that’s what you want, but just know, I’m here if you ever need to talk. And you should really consider talking to Jared. Cause, honey, whatever it is you’ve got going on in that head of yours is seriously hurting him,” I murmured, putting my arm around her in a half hug.

I was a little surprised when her body jerked and a sob escaped, tears coming quickly to her eyes as she turned into my embrace.

“Shh, it’s okay. Whatever it is, it’ll be okay,” I cooed, rubbing her back.

“No, it won’t!” Kim cried.

“Yes, it will. You know you’ll always have me and Jared’s not going anywhere. This whole pack is here for you. You’ll never have to face anything alone,” I promised.

I glanced over at where Jared was standing, his face tortured as Sam and Jake held him back. I bit my lip, unsure of what exactly to do to help them.

“Come on, sweet pea. Let’s go for a walk,” I decided, standing up with her.

She clung to me as we walked away from the pack, her tears slowing with each step. When we were finally far enough away that they wouldn’t hear us, I stopped, turning us to face the ocean. Glancing back, I noticed Jared, Sam, and Jake were closest to us, all three watching. The rest of the pack was busy roasting their hot dogs, completely oblivious to our absence.

“Alright, Kim. Start talking,” I insisted softly.

“I’m pregnant,” Kim stated matter-of-factly.

I blinked at her, completely thrown for a loop.

“Oh, my gosh,” I gaped.

“Yeah. Tell me about it,” Kim laughed humorlessly.

“Oh, my gosh. Kim. How?” I asked, completely flabbergasted.

“Really, Bella? You of all people should know how,” Kim snorted, arms crossed over her chest.

“Did you guys use protection?” I asked.

“Of course, but that’s not always 100% guaranteed,” Kim hissed, tears starting again.

“Why haven’t you told Jared?” I questioned quietly.

“He had enough of his plate as it is. He doesn’t need to worry about me, too. Besides, we’re only nineteen, barely out of high school. He’s got a steady job, but I’ve been working part-time. We can’t afford a baby. We don’t even have a house. We’re both still living at home,” Kim spit out.

“Kim… don’t you know?” I smiled.

“What?” Kim glared.

“Jared loves you. He’ll be thrilled to hear about this. The whole freaking pack will be! This is huge news.  And you and Jared will figure the rest of it out. I’m sure he’s been planning on this happening sometime in the future. This is just pushing the date up a little,” I insisted brightly.

“But what if he doesn’t want it?” Kim mumbled, her chin trembling.

“Kim, how could he not?” I tisked, pulling her into a hug.

She held on tightly and I could tell she was starting to believe what I was telling her.

“It’s part of you and part of him, a product of the love you two share,” I murmured.

“You really think he’ll be happy?” Kim asked, smiling slightly.

“I think he’ll be ecstatic,” I corrected.

“Okay. Okay! Let’s go tell him,” Kim grinned, tugging on my hand.

I laughed as she pulled me along, happy to see the shift in her mood. Jared noticed us hurrying towards them and began running to meet us half-way.

“Kim,” Jared sighed, all his love evident in her name.

“Jared. I’m so sorry I hurt you. I was… dealing with something and I wasn’t sure how to tell you or how you’ll react,” Kim explained nervously.

“Whatever it is, baby, we’ll take care of it together,” Jared promised.

I smiled, continuing towards my wolves to give them some privacy. Looking at my two men, their bodies outlined by the fire behind them, I had to take a moment to pause and admire the view. They truly were magnificent and they were completely mine.

Kim’s squeal of delight and Jared’s shout of joy went practically unnoticed as Jake and Sam both tensed and shouted my name at the exact same time.

I spun around, looking for the cause of alarm and spotted Edward Cullen standing just a foot away. Knowing it was hopeless, but having to try anyway, I turned back around and began running towards my wolves.

Before I’d even taken a step, his cold arm wrapped around my waist, throwing me over his shoulder and took off running. I heard the sound of clothing ripping and knew my wolves had phased to give chase. Howls sounded through the woods, a call to the rest of the pack.

“Please! Please, let me go,” I pleaded, clutching his shirt.

Edward didn’t answer, simply continued running. I looked back, my eyes widening at the trees flying past us. I had seen the wolves run before, but it was clear Edward was faster. I couldn’t even see my wolves anymore. Only their quickly fading howls told me they were still giving chase.

My body shook with sobs as I realized the possibility that I might never see my wolves again.


Sam’s POV

She’s gone. She’s gone. She’s gone. He took her, she’s gone.

The thought repeated over and over in my head, driving me steadily insane as I continued chasing after the vampire that had taken my imprint.

Sam! You’ve got to stop! Jake’s voice sounded through my mantra.

She’s gone. She’s gone.

I know, man, but the trail’s gone cold. It’s too confusing, Jake informed me angrily.

Bella, I howled, agony rippling through me.

My entire body quaked as Jake joined in my howl, our call to our imprint.

Fucking leech! Leah screamed, knocking a tree over in her anger.

We need the Cullens, Seth insisted, nervously pawing the ground.

Without another word, Jake and I took off for the treaty line. If those leeches had any fucking idea where that thing had taken Bella, we were going to take it.

We had to find her.


Jake’s POV

Shit. Shit. Shit. Fuck.

Sam was losing it, his mind repeating the same thoughts over and over as we raced towards Cullen territory. My heart ached in my chest, knowing our imprint was getting further and further away from us.

I pushed the thought from my head, focusing on getting information from the Cullens. They had to know something about what their “brother” was doing.

We arrived at their house to find them already outside, waiting for us. Sam phased while walking towards them, completely ignorant of his own nakedness. He walked right up to the coven leader and grabbed him by his shirt.

“Where is she?” Sam growled.

“Sam!” I called, phasing and pulling on a pair of shorts.

“I’m sorry. I don’t understand,” Carlisle frowned.

“WHERE IS SHE?” Sam roared, shaking Carlisle.

The rest of his coven hissed, a clear warning to Sam.

“Sam, let him go. We need to talk this through,” I insisted, my body trembling under the strain of not chasing after Bella.

Sam threw Carlisle back into his family, growling his fury.

“What the hell is your problem?” the blond, Rosalie, asked.

“Our imprint, Bella, was taken by your coven brother,” I informed them harshly.

“Edward kidnapped Bella?” Alice asked, her eyes wide.

“Yes. Do you have any idea where he would take her?” I asked, quickly losing my patience.

“Alice?” Esme questioned, looking at the little one.

“He’s not making any decisions except to keep running,” Alice frowned, rubbing her temples.

“What the hell is going on?” Sam snarled.

“Alice can see the future,” Jasper snapped back.

“So you can see where she is?” I asked eagerly.

“They’re in the forest. He’s not focused on anything and he hasn’t decided where they’re going to stop or when,” Alice answered.

“So there’s no way to know until he decides and even then, we might be too late,” I stated, defeated.

“I’ll keep watching. If I see anything change, I’ll let you know,” Alice promised.

“What the fuck do we do in the meantime? You’re out of your fucking minds if you think we’re just going to sit on our asses, twiddling our thumbs. That’s a member of our family out there!” Leah shouted, storming up from behind us.

“I understand, but there’s not much we can do at this point,” Carlisle explained gently.

“Fuck that! There’s enough of us. We can go back to the forest and try to untangle the trails. Let’s go,” Leah snapped.

“Leah,” I called.

“I won’t sit here and wait for her to die!” Leah screamed, fisting her hands in her hair.

Sam roared in anger while I growled, trying to keep my control while our Alpha lost his.

“We will get her back, but we need a plan,” I insisted.

I turned to the Cullens, looking them over as I ran through any and every scenario in my mind. Carlisle and Esme had their arms around each other, parental worry etched on their faces. Alice was staring into space while Jasper rubbed her back, whispering in her ear. Emmett and Rosalie stood a few paces back, staring heatedly at each other. At first, I thought they were about to attack each other, but it soon became clear they were communicating in a way only mated pairs could.

I frowned as I noticed Emmett’s shoulders slump and he nodded to his mate. At the same time, Alice spun on them, hissing.

“No!” Alice shouted, leaping at them.

Emmett quickly intercepted her, throwing her back towards Jasper. Almost instantly, the two couples were in a heated hissing match, all four crouched defensively. Jasper and Emmett were snarling at each other while Alice and Rosalie hissed warnings.

“Stop it right now! What has gotten into you four?” Esme shouted, quickly moving between her children.

“Rosalie is going to betray our family,” Alice accused.

“Rosalie?” Carlisle questioned.

“I won’t continue lying for you, Carlisle. They deserve to know the truth about everything. Bella doesn’t deserve this fate,” Rosalie told him.

“Shut up, you little twit!” Jasper hissed.

“Don’t talk to my mate like that,” Emmett growled, moving in front of Rosalie.

“What the fuck is going on?” I yelled, bringing their attention to me.

“It’s about Edward,” Rosalie said, staring straight at me.

The hair on the back of my neck stood up and I knew, whatever she had to say, it wasn’t going to be good.


Bella’s POV

After what felt like forever, Edward finally slowed, allowing me to take in where we were. The sun was starting to rise by this point and the forest was waking up around us. I winced as I shifted, the pain in my ribs screaming in protest at spending the night slung over the hard rock of Edward’s shoulder.

He came to a stop in the middle of a meadow and set me down on my feet. I swayed slightly after being at an odd angle for so long.

“Easy. Just wait. You’ll be fine in a minute,” Edward encouraged.

“Please, just let me go,” I pleaded, my tears completely spent.

“I will. I promise. Just, not yet. You’re in danger,” Edward insisted.

“What are you talking about? The only danger I’m in is from you and that psycho, Emily,” I frowned.

“Emily is not a psycho and I’m no more dangerous to you than you are to me,” Edward snorted.

“Oh, really? Then why did you take me away from my wolves? You do realize we can’t be apart for long. If you keep me, I’ll die. I can’t be away from them,” I stressed to him.

“I understand. I hope to return you to them soon, but I have to make sure you’re safe first,” Edward nodded.

“And how do you plan to do that?” I asked, wondering if he was all the way there.

“Easy, by making sure no one will ever hurt you again,” Edward smiled darkly.

I shivered uncertainly, backing away from him slowly.

“Please. Don’t hurt me,” I whimpered as he followed me.

“I won’t intentionally, but… accidents do happen,” Edward shrugged casually.

I tripped over a tree root, falling to the ground and staying there, curling in on myself.

“Hush now, love. You’ll be back with your mutts again soon,” Edward cooed.

I screamed as his hand grabbed my arm and jerked me into his body. My scream was quickly muffled by his hand and his mouth pressed against my throat, his teeth piercing my skin.

As things started fading from my view, I regretted not making love to Sam and Jake one last time before the bonfire. As darkness took over, I sent up a prayer that they would never forget just how much I had loved them.

Their faces were the last thought I had as my knees collapsed and I fell to the ground, the wound at my neck covering the ground in blood.



No comments:

Post a Comment