Monday, March 24, 2014

Alpha Beta Imprint: Chapter Eight

Disclaimer: I am not Stephanie Meyer. I do not own Twilight.

Chapter Eight

Jake’s POV

I was pacing along the side of the forest around Forks High. Paul, Leah, and Jared were positioned on the other sides, each of them watching for Bella through the window.

We’d arrived well before school started, wanting to make sure the Cullens didn’t try anything when Bella arrived. Sam and I had repeatedly stressed how important it was that we be able to see or hear her at all times. Bella had agreed to sit by the window in as many classes as possible, making it easier on us to keep an eye on her.

Good God, Black. Could you please do something about that monstrosity? It sounds like an angry, dying bear lumbering into the parking lot! Leah groaned as Bella pulled into school.

Don’t let Bella hear you say that. She’s insanely proud of that truck, I smirked.

I’ve got leech coming, Jared interrupted.

I focused completely on Bella as she got out of that old truck and made her way into the building. I wanted to growl at the idiots who stared at her and whispered as she walked by. I was proud of her, though. She didn’t let it affect her.

She’s in. Where are the Cullens? I asked, scanning the parking lot.

Pulling into the parking lot now, Jared answered.

I watched as two cars roared into the parking lot, one a silver Volvo S60R, the other a dark green Jeep Wrangler. From the sound of the engines, I would bet that both had been worked on to make them faster. As soon as they all climbed out, the stench of rotten fresh and sugary sweet bleach made me snort from the overpowering scent.

Ugh! Man, that stinks, Paul groused.

I couldn’t help but agree with him. I honestly was worried about my breakfast making a reappearance.

Disgusting, Leah scowled.

I’ve got eyes on Bella. Looks like she’s in English, Jared told us.

Can you hear anything? I asked eagerly, searching his memory.

From the looks on her face, I could tell she was irritated. Something was going on and by the red on her cheeks, I knew she was either really angry or really embarrassed.

Not a thing. Their too quiet, Jared frowned.

Don’t worry about. Just let us know when she moves. Anyone got eyes on the leeches? I asked, scanning my side of the building.

I’ve got the blond bimbo Barbie and the Incredible Skunk, Paul answered, laughing at his own joke.

I can’t see any of them, but I can still smell them. Ugh, my nose hairs are burning! Leah complained.

Looks like the little one is in the classroom next to Bella. She’s watching me, Jared murmured, his fur standing on end.

Keep your cool, Jared. She knows better than to approach us, but make sure she doesn’t go near Bella, I instructed.

You got it, Chief, Jared grinned.

It was going to be a long day.


By the time lunch rolled around, we had been able to keep tabs on Bella all day. She’d been doing good sticking close to windows so we could watch her and the only time she’d been out of our sight was when she was in the hallways.

I yawned loudly as the bell rang for lunch and Bella once again exited from sight. Paul was reduced to chasing his tail for entertainment, Jared kept drifting off, and Leah was thinking about everything she’d rather be doing at the moment.

There was a shift in the air, alerting us to the fact that Sam had just phased. Jared jerked awake as soon as he realized his Alpha was present.

Hey, guys. How’s everything look? Sam asked.

They’ve kept their distance all day, I informed him.

Hate to say it, but I don’t think we’ll get to rip apart any leeches anytime soon, Paul grumbled.

How’s Bella? Sam asked.

Well, we can’t hear from out here, but from what we can see, she’s had a rough morning, Leah frowned.

Apparently, Forks High students and faculty aren’t very subtle when digging for information, I glared.

Narrow-minded weaklings, Paul added darkly.

Easy, Paul. We knew this would happen, I reminded him.

Besides, it looks like Bella can handle herself. She has run out of any of the rooms crying and she doesn’t seem to be too upset, Jared shrugged.

Good. And the Cullens have kept their distance? Sam asked.

Haven’t so much as been in the same room as her, Leah nodded.

Alright. Jake, do you think you guys need to stay and keep watch? Sam asked.

I think the leeches know we mean business. They’ve been watching us all day. They know we won’t let them slide by on this, I answered.

Jared, Paul, go home. Get some rest. The two of you have patrol tonight, Sam told them.

Aye, aye, mon capitan, Paul grinned in a fake French accent.

You got it, Chief, Jared agreed, heading towards La Push.

You got eyes on Bella, Leah? I asked, moving so I could easily keep her in my sight.

Don’t worry, Black. I’ve got your qahla, Leah assured me lightly.

Thanks, Le, Sam sighed.

Yeah, yeah. Get outta here and back to work, Leah ordered, swishing her tail.

I laughed as Sam grumbled about stubborn females. He would have to get used to them. I had no doubt that Bella would only get more stubborn as time went by.


Leah and I continued to watch Bella until about an hour before school let out.

Jake, man. You gotta get back to La Push. The council wants to talk to you and Sam, Jared said.

Be there in a few. Has somebody called Sam? I asked.

Paul’s got him, Jared answered.

Leah, can you bring Bella by La Push after she gets out of school? I requested, already headed towards home.

Sure, Leah yawned, settling further into the leaves.

Thanks, I smiled, as I passed the boundary line.

Don’t worry, Mr. Beta. I’ve got your girl, Leah snorted, rolling her eyes.

I laughed as I came up on my house, phasing mid-step. I ran up the back steps, shoving the backdoor open as I went.

“Dad? You home?” I called, moving through the house.

“In here,” Billy answered from the living room.

“Hey. What’s this about the council wanting to talk to Sam and me?” I asked, standing in the hallway.

“They want to talk to you two about Bella,” Billy informed me.

Panic settled in my stomach and I gripped the door frame for support.

“What about Bella?” I gasped.

“They have some… concerns about the imprint,” Billy explained.

My heart was pounding in my chest, sweat pouring down my forehead. I felt my body twitching as the urge to see Bella nearly overwhelmed me.

“Jake, calm down, son. They’re not going to take her away from you or Sam. They just want to understand it a little better,” Billy assured me.

“Where are we meeting them?” I rasped.

“They’re coming here,” Billy answered.

I nodded, flopping down on the couch to wait for the rest of the Elders and Sam to arrive. Harry and Old Quil arrived at the same time, Harry having driven them over. I stood as soon as the door opened, giving up my seat for my Elders.

“Jacob,” Old Quil grunted in greeting.

“Mr. Ateara. Mr. Clearwater,” I nodded.

“How are you, Jake?” Harry asked, clapping my shoulder as he walked by.

“Well, sir, that depends on how this meeting goes,” I admitted honestly.

Harry laughed as he settled onto the couch.

“Yes, I imagine it will. Sam on his way?” Harry asked.

“Yes, sir,” I nodded again.

Speaking of Sam, I looked up to see him walking through the door.

“Elders, Jake. What’s this meeting all about?” Sam asked, coming to stand beside me.

“We want to talk to the two of you about Bella,” Billy said.

Sam’s reaction was similar to my own. His body started vibrating and his breathing came in short gasps.

“What about Bella?” Sam asked, his voice thin.

“We want to understand this imprint a little better,” Old Quil scowled.

“It’s not really any different than the other imprints,” I shrugged, glancing at Sam.

“Tell us, how do the two of you feel sharing an imprint?” Harry asked, his fingers steepled before him.

Sam and I shared a look, both no doubt thinking the same thing.

“It’s easy, natural. There’s no jealousy, no anger when she’s with the other,” Sam smiled.

“You both realize that she may get pregnant by one of you and not the other?” Billy questioned.

“We haven’t really thought that far ahead,” I smirked.

“And why do you think the two of you have imprinted on the same girl?” Old Quil asked gruffly.

“Well, I’ve been thinking about this a lot. The best bet I can come up with, if imprinting is all about carrying on the wolf gene, is that since I was meant to be Alpha, I was supposed to imprint on Bella, but since Sam is the actual Alpha, he imprinted on Bella, too. She’ll give us the strongest wolves, so she’s meant to be with the strongest wolf, the Alpha,” I explained.

“That is a good theory,” Harry agreed.

“And if the imprinting isn’t about carrying on the wolf gene?” Billy asked, genuinely curious.

“Then Bella is the perfect girl for us both. She was meant for us to share. She was meant for us both to love,” Sam grinned.

“Do you both love her?” Billy asked, leaning forward.

“Yes,” Sam and I answered in unison.

Billy nodded, smiling in approval at our joint conviction.

“You boys need to realize something. The tribe is not going to accept a pale face as the wife of the future Chief. Your imprint will be ostracized from the community. The women will shun her in the grocery store and the men will leer at her when she walks by. She won’t be accepted at tribal events and meetings. She’ll never be Quileute and the people will never accept her because of that,” Old Quil stated harshly.

“If our people can’t accept our imprint simply because the color of her skin is different, then I want nothing to do with becoming Chief,” Sam growled.

Old Quil turned his attention to me, clearly seeking my opinion.

“I won’t become Chief. I know Sam shares my thoughts in this, but if we have to, we’ll leave La Push. Bella is more important,” I told him coolly.

“You would abandon your pack for your imprint?” Old Quil asked, glaring at the two of us.

“Yes,” Sam and I answered together, our conviction just as strong as when Billy asked if we loved her.

The three Elders looked at each other, all seeming to communicate without words.

“We Elders support your imprint and the bond it forms. We will work with you and your imprint to insure she is accepted among the people,” Billy said formally.

“Thank you,” Sam murmured, bowing his head.

I lowered my head in gratitude, following Sam’s example.

As Harry, Old Quil, and Billy began talking amongst themselves, I turned to Sam, clapping a hand on his shoulder.

“We better head over to your place. Bella should be out of school by now,” I reminded him.

Sam nodded in agreement, turning to bid the Elders goodbye. Sam’s truck was parked behind Harry’s old Jeep Cherokee and I smirked as he fired it up.

“Sounds like the timing belt needs to be checked,” I winced.

“Ugh, no kidding. That noise has been driving me crazy all day,” Sam shuddered.

“I’ll check it out for you once we get to your place,” I offered.

“Thanks,” Sam grunted, turning the truck in the direction of his house.

“Bella did good today. We were able to watch her through all the windows and she only has one class with a leech. He sat on the other side of the room from her, though and didn’t approach her,” I told him.

“Good. I’d rather he not be in her class at all, but as long as he keeps his distance. I think from now on, we can just have one wolf outside the school,” Sam decided, turning down his street.

“Bella’s not going to like that,” I sighed.

“I know, but I can’t stand the thought of her being there without some kind of protection. I told their leader that Bella is under our protection. That means that wherever she is, we have the authority to be there, too,” Sam frowned.

“Easy, Sam. I know. I’m just saying, you’re going to probably have a fight on your hands when you tell Bells,” I shrugged.

“I know,” Sam murmured, pulling into his driveway.

I followed him into the house, mulling over what to do when Bella flipped her lid. The best thing would probably be run for cover, but I doubted that would work for long. She was my imprint, after all, and I couldn’t go so much as a day without seeing her. That left me playing to peace maker. I had a feeling I would be doing that quite a bit with Bella and Sam.

Sighing heavily at the thought, I fell onto the couch. Sam walked into the kitchen and I listened to him rummage around the fridge.

“You want anything?” Sam asked.

“Coke,” I called back, propping my feet on the coffee table.

He came back into the living room, carrying two Cokes. He tossed one at me before sinking into his chair.

The rumble of Bella’s truck pulling into the driveway had him jumping back out of his chair before he’d even taken a sip of his drink.

“Sam!” Leah called, storming into the house.

“Jeeze, Leah. No need to yell. We’re right here,” I grumbled.

“Shut it, Black. Your girl was approached by the little female leech after school today. Apparently, she gave Bella a message to pass on to you,” Leah darkly informed us.

Oh, shit.

“SHE DID WHAT?” Sam shouted, his body already starting to tremble.

Surprisingly, Sam’s first move was to go to the phone. I stood up, curious as to what he was doing and where Bella was. The latter was answered when Bella slowly came through the front door, looking as guilty as I’d ever seen her.

“Hey, Bells. Wanna tell me what happened?” I asked calmly, pulling her into a hug.

“I didn’t mean to, Jake, I swear. She just grabbed me after school. It’s not like I could’ve fought her off,” Bella hurried to explain.

Sam growled angrily while I hushed our girl.

“It’s okay, honey. Just tell me what she said,” I soothed.

“That Edward, her brother in my Biology class, wouldn’t be able to change classes and she hoped you guys would let it slide so long as he didn’t approach me,” Bella murmured into my chest.

I looked over at Sam to find him growling as he dialed the phone.

“Who are you calling?” I asked, rubbing a comforting hand down Bella’s back.

“Cullen,” Sam spat.

Bella turned her head so she could watch Sam as he began pacing the length of the living room. He was still growling, but at least his trembling had settled down some. I rested my cheek on top of Bella’s head, still rubbing her back gently.

“Did any of the other leeches approach you?” I asked Bella quietly.

“No,” Bella answered just as softly.

“Good,” I sighed as one of the Cullens answered Sam’s phone call.

Hello?” A female voice answered

“Let me talk to your leader right the fuck now,” Sam demanded.

Who the hell is this? And where the fuck do you get off talking to me like that?” The female hissed back.

“Shut up and put him on!” Sam yelled into the phone.

The next instant, Carlisle Cullen came onto the phone, but we could still hear the female cursing in the background.

This is Carlisle. Am I to assume this is Sam Uley?” Dr. Vamp asked calmly.

“You can bet your fucking ass it is. What the hell was one of your coven doing breaking the treaty so damn soon?” Sam growled.

I apologize for my daughter’s actions. She was only trying to help,” The tick explained.

“Help? She fucking touched her!” Sam roared.

I glanced down at Bella, worried about how she was handling seeing Sam so angry, but she was simply watching him calmly. I tightened my hold on her reassuringly, hoping she understood Sam wasn’t angry with her.

Yes, I was informed. Again, I apologize. Apparently, I was not clear enough when explaining the new addendums to the treaty. I have already spoken with all of my children again. They will be sure to keep their distance in the future,” The head leech assured Sam.

“They better. I want you to understand something here, Cullen. I respect my ancestors for being wise enough to create the treaty with your coven, but I won’t hesitate to protect what is mine. Bella just so happens to fall into that category. I don’t want to fight your coven as it would go against my ancestors’ wishes, but this is your first and last warning. Any of you touch her again, it will be a break of the treaty and a war will be fought,” Sam warned, his eyes trained on Bella the entire time.

I released my hold on her as she began moving towards Sam, understanding his need to be near her. I smiled slightly when she moved under his arm, bringing it around her shoulders to kiss his knuckles.

I understand, Sam. Thank you for giving my family another chance,” Cullen said.

“Just don’t abuse it,” Sam demanded before hanging up the phone.

“What happened?” Bella asked, looking up at him.

“Apparently, Dr. Cullen wasn’t as clear with his coven as he should have been. They shouldn’t approach you again, but if they do, you tell me or Jake as soon as possible,” Sam requested, pushing a stand of hair behind her ear.

Bella nodded, leaning into his touch. I breathed a sigh of relief at having jumped that hurtle so easily.

“Jesus, it’s like some fucked up soap opera in here. I gotta get out of here. See you guys later,” Leah grumbled as she left.

“Thanks for bringing her here, Le,” Sam called after her.

“Yeah, yeah,” Leah waved off.

Sam chuckled, shaking her head at the she-wolf.

“What would you like to do for the rest of the afternoon, sweetheart?” Sam asked, looking down at our imprint.

“I actually have some homework, if you can believe that. First day of school and they’re already laying on the workload,” Bella huffed.

“The weather’s nice enough. Why don’t we spend some time outside? I can look at your timing belt while Bella does homework,” I suggested to Sam.

“Sounds good to me,” Sam agreed.

“Only if you agreed to help me with history,” Bella bargained with Sam.

“Well, lucky for you, history just happened to be my best subject,” Sam grinned.

“Perfect,” Bella smiled, leading us outside.

As I tinkered under the hood of Sam’s Jeep and Bella laid out on the front lawn with Sam sitting beside her, all of us laughing at her poor attempt at history, I had to agree. It truly felt perfect.



No comments:

Post a Comment