Monday, March 24, 2014

Alpha Beta Imprint: Chapter Twenty-Two

Disclaimer: I am not Stephanie Meyer. I do not own Twilight.

Chapter Twenty-two

Bella’s POV

It had been three days since I’d woken up for the first time and I was finally going home. My strength still wasn’t one hundred percent, but I was good enough to make it back to La Push. I was anxious to see the pack and make sure everyone was okay.

“Ready, sweetheart?” Sam asked, giving me an easy smile.

“You have no idea,” I grinned, lifting my arms to wrap around his neck.

“I know I’m ready for you to be home, so I can only imagine how ready you are,” Sam chuckled, lifting me easily.

He carried me outside where Jake and Al were waiting, Jake scanning the forest while Al shuffled impatiently.

“Bout time,” Al grumbled, spotting us.

“Keep your pants on. Just cause I’m weak as a kitten doesn’t mean they can’t beat your old butt,” I threatened.

“Oh, tsidá wil. These boys of yours might be strong, but I’ve been around a lot longer and know all the tricks,” Al winked.

“Bring it on, old man. We’ll take you anytime, anyplace,” Jake gloated, flexing his muscles.

“Put those down, boy, before you hurt yourself,” Al admonished.

I giggled as Jake and Al began growling playfully at each other.

“Alright. Enough. We’ve got to get going if we’re going to make it back by sundown,” Sam insisted, starting towards La Push.

“How far away are we?” I asked curiously, looking around us.

“A few miles,” Sam shrugged.

“How long will it take?” I practically whined.

“Not long. We have to go slower with you, but we’ll get there soon enough,” Sam promised, kissing the top of my head.

“Let’s get a move on. I don’t trust being out here alone like this,” Jake frowned, picking up the pace.

“Why didn’t you call more of the pack?” I asked, figuring that would’ve been the obvious choice.

“Don’t want a bunch of pups sniffing round my home,” Al groused from behind Sam and I.

“What did we say about smiling and being nice?” I glared back at him.

In response, Al shot me a sarcastic smile, chuckling when I stuck my tongue out at him. For such an old fart, he was cool once he dropped the whole “I-am-angry-so-fuck-off” attitude. I knew Jake and Sam liked him after spending so much time with him.

The walk back to La Push went fairly quickly with the three of them entertaining me with the goings on of the pack and the tribe. I was more than a little worried when Jake and Sam alluded to Jake taking on the Alpha role. Sam tensed when it was mentioned and I noticed he shot Jake a death glare.

“What’s going to happen with you taking over as Alpha?” I asked Jake quietly.

Jake looked back and made eye contact with Sam. Al gave a cough behind us, signaling his discomfort, but I ignored him for the moment.

“That depends,” Jake answered slowly.

“On what?” I pressed.

“On whether or not he’s going to maintain control and whether or not I step down,” Sam explained.

“Why do you need to step down?” I frowned.

“Because the pack can’t have two Alphas,” Jake sighed, running his hand through his hair.

“Why not? It’s not like you two didn’t share the power before. I mean, sure, Jake was Beta, but you both made the decisions together. You can just do that,” I pointed out, fatigue slowly creeping over me.

I smiled tiredly at the surprised looks Jake and Sam shot each other. It was clear neither one of them had thought of this choice.

“That would solve a lot of problems,” Jake nodded.

“What problems?” I mumbled, my eyes closing.

“Later, honey. Rest for now. We’ll be home soon,” Jake soothed, his fingers brushing through my hair.

I sighed contently, snuggling into Sam’s arms as they continued walking. My mind shut down until I was in a limbo-like place, half asleep, half awake.

“We’ll need to tell her soon,” Sam mumbled reluctantly.

“I know, I know. I just don’t want to upset her. She’s so fragile right now,” Jake huffed.

“Bull shit. She’s tougher than she looks, boy,” Al snorted, coming closer to us.

“Really? You think she’ll take it lightly? This is not something to just dump on her. Sam could lose the imprint if he steps down,” Jake hissed angrily.

“Come on, now, son. You can’t be that dumb,” Al grunted.

I felt like giggling at the scenario playing out inside my head. Was this a dream or were they really talking?

“Your girl gave you the answer and you didn’t even listen to her. That bond you’ve got with her? Well, it transcends all others. The two of you were made to share the Alpha position,” Al said slowly.

“There can’t be two Alphas,” Jake argued.

“Who says? Eh? Those Elders? Bah! What do they know? Nothing. Been around longer than all of them put together!” Al grumbled under his breath.

“How is it possible to share the role of Alpha?” Sam asked, bringing them back on topic.

“How is it possible for two dominant male wolves to share a submissive mate? It just is. She is the link between the two of you. She calls to both of your wolves. And as long as you keep that bond to her, the two of you will be bonded in ways no other wolves will be able to understand,” Al explained.

“Look, Al. I appreciate everything you done for us, but I’m not sure I want to be bonded to Sam,” Jake choked.

The sound of Al slapping Jake in the back of the head jolted me awake and I looked around in surprise.

“What was that?” I cried.

“Just Al knocking some sense into Jake’s thick skull. We’re almost home, sweetheart,” Sam smiled, kissing my temple.

“Thank God. My legs are sore,” I complained, rubbing my thighs.

“I’ll massage them when we get home,” Jake offered, reaching over to take my hand and kiss it sweetly.

“My feet, too?” I pouted.

“Your feet, too,” Jake chuckled, kissing my hand again.

“Thank God we’re getting the three of you back to civilization. Much more of that and I would’ve been forced to move outta my own place,” Al shivered.

“Oh, hush. You know you’ll miss me,” I grinned.

“I’m sure you’ll be by the store often enough for me not to miss you,” Al countered.

“Probably,” I agreed with a laugh.

“Here we go,” Sam smiled, stepping out of the trees.

I looked around and felt like crying as I took in our home. Even from outside, I could tell the pack was crowded around the living room, waiting for us to get there.

“They’ve all be very impatient to see you, especially Kim and Leah,” Sam whispered, walking up the steps.

“I’ve missed them all,” I told him, sniffing to keep back the tears.

Sam kissed me sweetly while Jake opened the door. I pulled away as the entire room seemed to shake with the vibrations of the pack’s enthusiasm. I laughed as my name was called from all directions and I was passed around the room, receiving hug after hug.

“BELLA!” Kim squealed, hugging me as Jared held me up.

“Kim! Oh, I’m so sorry! I ruined your night,” I apologized, hugging her fiercely.

“Are you kidding me? You were kidnapped! By some psycho vampire! And you’re apologizing to me? Oh, Bella! I was so scared and worried and-and- Oh! I’m so happy you’re back!” Kim sobbed, throwing all her weight into me.

Thankfully, Jared kept a hold of me so we didn’t end up on the floor, but Jake and Sam quickly moved to peel Kim off me.

“Babe, remember. She’s still kinda weak,” Jared murmured while she continued to cry.

“I know!  I can’t help it! It’s these damn hormones,” Kim wailed.

“Kim, it’s okay. I’m fine. I missed you, too,” I soothed, brushing her hair back.

“Jesus, woman. Get a hold of yourself. With all the crying you’ve been doing, we could bottle that shit and sell it on Ebay for millions,” Leah grumbled, pulling me into a gentle hug.

“Fuck you, Leah!” Kim shouted, moving to punch her friend.

“Babe! Don’t. Remember what happened last time?” Jared scolded, pulling her back against his chest.

“I don’t care! Let me at her! I wanna rearrange her face!” Kim screamed, clawing at Jared’s arms.

“What the heck?” I muttered as Jared dragged Kim away.

“She’s a little emotional right now and I help her relieve her stress. She’d do the same for me. How ya feeling, qahla?” Leah asked softly.

“Better than I was a few days ago,” I chuckled, leaning against Jake.

“I bet. We all saw it through Jake and Sam’s mind. Damn, but you were fucked up,” Leah smirked.

“Don’t I know it. I still can’t stand for very long,” I sighed.

“It’ll get better. According to Al, you took the transfusion well. You just gotta work on getting that strength up,” Leah reassured me.

“Easier said than done with these two lugging me around all over the place,” I teased, hip bumping Jake.

He didn’t answer, simply lowered his mouth to his mark and nipped at the sensitive skin. I shivered as the delicious sensation traveled straight to my clit, making it throb persistently.

“Eh-hem. Well, then. I’m gonna mosey on over and make sure Quil hasn’t snuck off to have play time with Mr. Pepe,” Leah grinned evilly before slinking away.

“She really is cruel sometimes,” I mused.

“Nah. She’s just a big softie,” Jake denied, trailing his lips down my throat.

“You need to stop. We have… company,” I breathed, tilting my head to give him better access.

“I can’t help it. We haven’t had you in nine days, four hours, and thirty-two minutes,” Jake groaned pitifully.

“I can’t believe you’re actually keeping track,” I laughed, pushing away from him.

“Honey, I’m always counting down the seconds until I’m inside you again,” Jake told me seriously.

I shivered at the intensity of his gaze and again when Sam came up behind me, his arm wrapping around my waist to pull me against his chest.

“Charlie’s on his way over with the Elders. I just got off the phone with them,” Sam informed us.

“Good. We need to discuss this whole Alpha thing and what to do about the Cullens,” Jake frowned.

“Can I sit down?” I requested, a wave of dizziness coming over me.

I was sitting on the couch before I could do so much as blink, Jake kneeling in front of me and Sam sitting beside me.

“Are you okay? Do you need something?” Jake asked frantically.

“I’m fine, just really tired all of a sudden,” I assured him.

“Here,” Al grunted from behind Jake, holding out a can of soda and a sandwich.

“Where have you been?” Jake asked, taking them from him.

“Getting this. Knew she’d need something after all the excitement,” Al shrugged.

“Thanks,” I murmured, taking the sandwich eagerly.

I practically inhaled it, I was so hungry. In less than five minutes, it was gone.

“Slow down, Bells. You’re gonna make yourself sick,” Jake chuckled, handing me the soda.

“I was really hungry,” I glared.

“I can tell,” Jake smirked.

“Elders are here with Charlie,” Al mumbled, squinting out the window behind us.

I turned to see my dad hurrying up the front steps, Billy, Harry, and Old Quil behind him. The door burst open a second before Charlie called my name.

“Bella!”

“In here, Dad,” I answered, moving to stand.

I was barely on my feet before he swooped me into his arms, holding me tight.

“Thank God, you’re okay,” Charlie gasped into my hair.

I tried to blink back tears as I hugged him, my face pressed into his chest. The reality of it all suddenly weighing me down, I ended up crying softly in my Daddy’s lap. I had almost lost him, Jake, Sam, Leah, Kim, the pack, all of it, just because a group of vampires got it in their heads that I belonged with them.

“Shh, Bells. You’re alright. I’ve got you,” Charlie soothed, rocking us slowly.

I felt like a child again, in that moment. I blocked out everything else and just focused on the sound of Charlie’s voice and the gentle rocking motion that was quickly lulling me back to sleep.


Jake’s POV

It nearly killed me to watch Bella break apart in Charlie’s arms. Throughout the whole ordeal, she’d been strong and resilient, completely calm in the fact of what had happened.  Sam and I had been waiting for the break down, knowing as soon as the shock wore off she would lose her hold on the line between reality and fantasy. Apparently, all that was needed was a hug from her father and the haze she had been living in vanished, presenting her with the knowledge she had been putting off for the past three days.

Charlie rocked her gently, whispering soothing words into her ear as she clung to his shirt. I watched helplessly as she slowly began to drift off, the emotion drain too much for her still-healing body.

“Alright, boys. Tell us what’s going on,” Dad demanded quietly.

I looked at Sam, noticing he was having a hard time turning away from our imprint. With her being in such a fragile state, the pull was much stronger and we were constantly on the defense around others.

“We already told you what happened with the Cullens, how Al saved Bella, and that Edward is mated to Emily. You also know that I stepped up as Alpha, but Sam has yet to step down,” I began.

“Yes. You told us all this the last time we met,” Old Quil nodded.

“Well, Sam won’t be stepping down from the Alpha position,” I told them.

There was a slight uproar around the room, mostly from the three Elders. The pack began looking between each other, wondering what would become of them with two Alphas.

“You’re splitting the pack? That’s madness. You’re stronger together!” Old Quil insisted.

“Besides, Sam was never meant to take on the Alpha position. It’s in your blood, Jake. You’re the rightful Alpha,” Harry frowned.

Al’s snort came from beside Bella and everyone turned to look at him.

“Three of you aren’t too bright, huh?” Al smirked, coming to stand by Sam and I.

“What is it to you, Callum?” Old Quil grunted.

“Well, now, let’s just think about this for a minute, shall we? We’ve got two dominant male wolves mated to one submissive female human. Both wolves are dominant enough to hold onto the Alpha position. Now, from what you’ve heard in the past, there can’t be two Alphas. But, then again, according to legends, there can’t be a double imprint. We’re currently looking at both right now, gentleman. If Jake had any problem with Sam being Alpha, Sam would either already be dead or the pack would be split. Either way, they wouldn’t be able to stand being in the same room with each other, let alone sitting side by side for days while Bella recovered,” Al explained.

It was clear no one had thought of this as the Elders looked dumbfounded. I tried not to laugh at the incredulous look on my Dad’s face. I doubt anyone had ever heard him say so much, let alone say it so well.

“Look, Sam and I aren’t sure how this is going to work, exactly, but Al’s right. I don’t really want to take away Sam’s position in the pack and the only reason he felt threatened was because we weren’t sure if the imprint would dissolve if he stepped down. This way, we don’t have to find out,” I shrugged.

“So the pack will have two Alphas?” Dad clarified.

“Yes. Decisions will be made between the two of us. It’ll be just like when Jake was Beta. I relied on him more than what would usually be considered normal for an Alpha to do,” Sam pointed out.

The three Elders shared a look before nodding at us.

“Agreed. Now, what do you plan to do about the remaining Cullens?” Dad asked.

Sam and I looked at each other, communicating our intentions without saying a word.

“We’ve decided to let them leave. Bella is safe and she’s never going to see them again. As long as they pledge not to return here, we will let them walk away and take Edward’s mate with them, if she chooses to go,” I informed them.

“Jake and I will speak to Emily and judge her mental awareness before we allow them to leave. They were requesting the chance to see Bella, but I think we’ll have to deny them that. She’s shaken up enough as it is from just coming to terms with what happened. She doesn’t need to face the leech that almost killed her,” Sam growled, his anger slowly rising.

“Very well. We support you decision,” Harry nodded.

With that, the atmosphere relaxed and the pack settled down to spend the rest of the day in our living room. Sam and I shared another look before turning to Charlie.

“Chief, we’ve got to go see Emily and get these leeches off our land. Will you stand with Bella until we get back?” Sam asked.

“Of course, I will. She’s my daughter,” Charlie glared at us.

“Sorry, Charlie. We’re just a little on edge when it comes to her. The pack will be here, but I know she’ll feel better if you stay, too,” I apologized.

“You two go on. I’ve got her,” Charlie assured us.

“Al? You staying?” I asked, glancing over at him.

“Nah. Think I’m gonna head up to the shop, see bout stocking for tomorrow,” Al shook his head.

“Thanks for all your help. I’m sure we’ll be bringing Bella by soon,” Sam smirked, shaking his hand.

Al grunted in response before lumbering out the door. I took one last look at Bella before Sam and I followed behind him.

“She’s at her house, right?” I asked Sam.

“I think so. If not, we just go to the Cullens,” Sam shrugged.

“I don’t want to be that far away from Bella. If she’s not there, we call them and have them meet us at the treaty line,” I amended.

Sam nodded his agreement. I kicked at a rock as we continued walking in silence, thinking about our girl sleeping in her dad’s arms. I hated leaving her for any length of time, but leaving her when she was so obviously upset hurt more than anything. My chest was aching under the strain of walking away from her.

“Looks like she’s home,” Sam murmured, his hand rubbing at his chest.

“Let’s hurry this up so we can get back to her,” I grumbled, hurrying up the steps.

I knocked on the door with Sam behind me, shifting nervously. It didn’t take long before Emily opened the door, smiling shyly when she saw it was us.

“Hey. Come on in,” Emily said, opening the door wider.

“Thanks,” I mumbled, walking past her.

Sam and I walked into the living room before turning to face her. She was leaning against the doorway, her arms wrapped around herself. This girl was nothing like the one who had knocked on Sam’s door a few weeks ago. Her hair was up in a messy ponytail, she had on a large sweater, and her jeans had rips in the knees. Her outfit reminded me of Bella and my chest gave a painful twinge at the thought.

“Looks like you’re getting ready to leave,” Sam noticed, looking around the room.

I saw boxes stacked in the hallway and noted that all the decorative stuff had been removed from the room.

“Yeah. Edward said the sooner we leave, the better. He figured you two wouldn’t be too happy with his plan to save Bella,” Emily smiled wryly.

“He’s right about that,” I groused.

“Is this what you want, Emily? To become a vampire? You’ll never see your family again. You won’t be able to come back here. You’ll be forced to kill in order to survive,” Sam explained.

“It’s what I want. Edward and I… we just connect. It’s so easy to be with him. I never planned on coming back here. I want to see the world and with him, I can. And Rosalie is so sweet to me, plus Emmett is just… adorable,” Emily grinned.

“You sure you’ll be happy, though, Em?” Sam asked softly.

“I’m as happy with him as you are with Bella,” Emily assured him.

“Well, then. We’ll allow your change to occur, but the Cullens must never return to Forks and the surrounding area. It will be written in the treaty that if you ever return, there will be no sympathy,” I warned.

“I’ll tell him,” Emily promised.

“Good luck, Emily,” Sam smiled, squeezing her hand.

“You, too, Sam. And tell Bella, I’m sorry. I never would have hurt her if I’d been able to stop it,” Emily vowed, tears forming.

“She doesn’t blame you,” I told her.

Emily smiled widely at us as we left, closing the door behind us softly.

“Let’s get back to our girl,” Sam insisted eagerly.

I grinned and took off running down the street, Sam right beside me, as we raced towards our future with our imprint.



No comments:

Post a Comment