Monday, March 24, 2014

Alpha Beta Imprint: Chapter Six

Disclaimer: I am not Stephanie Meyer. I do not own Twilight.

Chapter Six

Sam’s POV

I sat in my living room, just staring at the pictures lining the walls in the dark. Emily’s smiling face looked back at me from numerous frames, most of them from before the accident. Even in the darkness, I could see the sparkle that always seemed to light up her eyes.

Sighing, I placed the empty can on the coffee table, ignoring the coaster sitting right beside it. Emily always hated when I didn’t use a coaster, insisting the water mark would damage the whole table. I’d never understood that idea. The table was made for people to put their drinks on it. Why would I put something under my drink when it was the table’s job to hold it?

Realizing it was probably getting to be too much if I was dwelling on coasters, I stood up, grabbed all the empty cans, and made my way to the trash.

“Hey, Sam! You in?”

The shout was followed by my front door being slammed shut and I groaned internally, more than a little angry that my alone time had been ruined.

“Hey, why didn’t you answer?” Jake asked, coming into the kitchen.

“Figured you’d find me,” I grumbled, dropping the cans into the trash can.

“Damn it, Sam. Are you at that shit again?” Jake frowned, shaking his head at the trash.

“It’s not like it does anything to me,” I glared at him.

“Yeah, but they smell horrible, like those leeches,” Jake said, wrinkling his nose.

“Yeah, yeah. I know. You tell me this every time,” I sighed, leaning against the counter.

“Seriously, man, you gotta lay off the energy drinks,” Jake insisted.

I shrugged, choosing not to respond as I move past him and back into the living room. He followed behind me, falling into the recliner shoved in the corner.

“Why the hell don’t you have any lights on in this place? It’s damned depressing,” Jake grumbled, shifting in his seat.

“I don’t need lights,” I reminded him.

Jake harrumphed in response, obviously not pleased with my answer.

“Look, we need to talk about Bella,” Jake started, leaning forward.

“Did something happen?” I asked, instantly tensed.

“No. When I left she was fixing Charlie breakfast,” Jake assured me.

Ever since Charlie found out about us and the imprint, Jake and I had taken turns running patrols around their place at night. Occasionally, Charlie would spot them and call them in to sleep on the couch, making sure to bring his gun, of course.

“So what do we need to talk about then?” I asked, relaxing back into the couch.

“School. She goes back in two days,” Jake reminded me, as if I need it.

“I know. I can’t stand the thought of her being so close to those bloodsuckers,” I growled, my hands shaking.

“I’ll take the day off work, tell Mr. Mitchell that my dad needs my help or something. The garage has been pretty slow lately,” Jake decided, running his fingers through his hair.

“I’m putting the finishing touches on the Peterson’s place in Forks. I’ll try to swing by on my lunch break,” I told him.

“Sucks neither one of us are in school anymore. We could just transfer,” Jake grinned wryly.

“You saying you want to go back to that hell hole?” I chuckled.

“Hell no! Although, it might be worth it to spend all day with Bells,” Jake sighed, slumping in his seat.

“That brings up something else, when are we supposed to see her during the week?” I asked.

“We’ll keep patrolling her house, maybe swing by late at night or something. We’ll figure something out,” Jake assured me.

“We have to be careful. Being apart hurts her just as much as it hurts us,” I reminded him.

“I know, Sam. I share a mind with Jared, too,” Jake sighed.

We both shifted uncomfortably at that thought, remembering when Jared first imprinted and no one knew the wolf and imprint couldn’t be apart. Just the memories from Jared’s head had been unbearable.

“Do you think one of us should take her to school?” I asked, changing the subject.

“I don’t know if she’d go for that,” Jake smirked.

“I wish she wasn’t so stubborn. She doesn’t realize what those creatures are capable of,” I groaned, frustrated.

“Calm down, man. Look, Bella will be fine. She’s got a good head on her shoulders and she knows what to look for. She’ll stay away from them,” Jake promised.

“I hope you’re right, because if they so much as put one finger on her, I’ll view it as a violation of the treaty,” I growled.

“Have you called Dr. Vamp yet?” Jake asked, picking up a coaster and fiddling with it.

“No, but I’m thinking I will. I want it made clear that Bella is under our protection,” I frowned.

“Phones in the kitchen,” Jake pointed, lifting his feet.

“Ass,” I mumbled, standing up and moving into the kitchen.

I grabbed the phone and dialed a number I’d been forced to memorize when I phased for the first time. It took less than a single ring before one of them picked up.

“Carlisle speaking.”

A shiver worked its way down my spine and I struggled to contain the growl building in my chest at the sound of the leech’s voice.

“This is Sam Uley, Alpha of the Quileute pack. I need to speak with you about certain terms of the treaty between our pack and your… coven,” I explained professionally.

“Of course, Mr. Uley. Should we set aside a time to get together or will over the phone suffice?” Dr. Vamp asked.

“I believe we can come to an understanding right now. It’s simple, really. We are making an extension to the treaty. The Swan house in Forks is now under our protection as is Isabella Swan and her father, Charlie. If I catch wind of any of your coven going near then, the treaty will be void and you will have a battle on your hands,” I warned.

“I see. I will be sure to inform the rest of my family of the changes you have requested,” Dr. Leech agreed.

“They are not requests. The treaty has been altered. If you do not like it, leave Forks,” I demanded before hanging up the phone.

I let loose the growl that had been building in my chest while talking to the leech, banging my fists on the counter.

“Easy there, man. Don’t crack the counter,” Jake chuckled, leaning against the door frame.

“I can’t stand the thought of her being anywhere near those leeches,” I snarled, hitting the counter again.

“Yeah, well, I’m not too thrilled about it either, but there isn’t anything we can do. You made yourself pretty clear with the flea bag about steering clear of her,” Jake assured me.

“Alright. Alright, here’s what we’re going to do. You’ll be at the high school, right?” I asked.

“Yeah, I got off. Why?” Jake asked, frowning slightly.

“I want Jared, Paul, and Leah with you. One of you on each side of the school. One of you will call me if anything happens,” I demanded.

“Sam, calm down. Okay, we’ll have them with me, but I get so much as a funny feeling about what’s going on, I won’t wait to barge in there. You seem to have forgotten, she’s my imprint, too,” Jake glared.

“I haven’t forgotten. I just… damn it, Jake, I can’t lose her!” I shouted, punching the wall.

Jake didn’t respond as I struggled to control my breathing and calm down. I closed my eyes against the emotions thrumming through my veins, my entire body trembling.

“I can’t lose her like I lost Emily,” I whispered, hanging my head.

“You’re not going to lose Bella. Neither one of us are. She’s going to be fine. The Cullens won’t touch her, not with the threat of breaking the treaty hanging over their heads,” Jake murmured, walking closer.

“Anything could happen to her. She could crash her truck on the way to school. She could get hit by a car walking around La Push. She could drown in the waves at First Beach. It wouldn’t be any different than Emily,” I frowned, my jaw clenched.

“Alright, stop it. Right the fuck now. Bella is fine. She’s safe. And she’s going to stay that way. You need to let this Emily thing go. It’s been almost four years. You can’t keep dwelling on it or you’re going to put a wall between you and Bella. I know it hurt when she left, but it’ll hurt a hell of a lot worse if you hurt Bella over this,” Jake insisted angrily.

“I can’t just let her go,” I mumbled, staring at her picture behind him.

Jake grunted, pushing himself off the doorway and turned to grab Emily’s picture. I tensed as he walked into the kitchen, holding the picture out to me.

“Take it and throw it away. The whole thing,” Jake ordered.

“I-I can’t,” I gaped, staring at the picture.

“Bull shit. You can. You’re just scared,” Jake accused.

“I’m not scared,” I snapped, glaring at him.

“Yes, you are. You’re scared that if you throw away the pictures and her clothes and all the shit she left behind, she’s really be gone. Well, guess what, asshole, she is gone! Bella’s here now, but if you keep holding on to Emily, she’ll eventually find out. If you don’t get over Emily’s leaving and Bella comes here and sees all these fucking pictures, she’s going to leave. Is that what you want?” Jake practically shouted at me.

“No, of course not! I love her,” I persisted.

“Then fucking proves it! Throw this crap away and allow Bella to be more than Emily’s replacement!” Jake yelled, throwing the picture on the counter before storming out of the house.

I was shaking angrily as I heard the door slam shut behind him. I wasn’t sure what I was feeling, but there was a pressure in my chest. I wasn’t positive, but I thought it might have something to do with the imprint. Since Jake and I were angry at each other, it was affecting the bond we had through Bella.

Glancing down at the picture frame, I frowned deeper, practically glaring at Emily’s smiling face.

“This is all your fault,” I hissed.

She just continued smiling at me, a yellow flower tucked behind her ear.

“If you hadn’t left like that, I wouldn’t be having this problem. Now I’ve got Jake pissed at me and if Bella ever finds out…” I cut off with a curse.

I couldn’t believe I was talking to a picture frame.

“I’ve got to let you go,” I whispered, tears coming to my eyes.

Reaching out a shaking hand, I picked up the picture frame. I stroked her beautiful face, my thumb tracing over her smile. Her brown eyes sparkled in the picture and I was transported back to when the picture was taken.

We’d been so happy, chasing each other around the cliffs. Before phasing, before the accident, everything was perfect.

A tear slipped out of my eye as I clutched the picture frame tighter.

“I can’t…”


 Jake’s POV

As soon as the door slammed shut behind me, I phased, taking off towards Forks and Bella. It took me about five minutes before I was running up her front porch steps and banging on the door.

A flushed, startled looking Chief answered the door.

“What the hell are you thinking, banging on the door like that?” Charlie barked.

“Sorry, Chief. I just need to see Bella,” I panted.

“Something happened?” Charlie asked, moving aside.

“No. Yes. I don’t know. Sam’s being a dick and I just… Arg!” I yelled, gripping my hair.

“Easy, there, Jake. Don’t you dare phase in this house,” Charlie ordered, his voice firm.

“Sorry, sorry. I just… he’s pissing me off,” I growled.

“What exactly did he do?” Charlie asked.

“He won’t let go,” I answered, aggravated.

“I’m gonna need a little more than that, kid,” Charlie huffed.

“Emily,” I sighed, running my fingers through my hair.

“Emily? Emily Young? Harry’s niece?” Charlie asked.

“Yeah. She used to date Sam. He… lost control one day and she was too close. Those scars she used to have? They were from Sam. It was an accident, of course, but she never recovered. He woke up one day and she was gone. Now, he can’t let her go. All her things are still in the house, her pictures on the walls. It’s revolting, especially with him having imprinted on Bella,” I cursed.

“Wait a minute. Sam Uley, who is destined, along with you, to be with my daughter, is still in love with his ex?” Charlie clarified.

“No, he doesn’t love her anymore. He’s just… holding on. He’s been mourning her loss for nearly four years. He’s afraid of letting her go. It’s all out of habit,” I assured him.

“He better get over that. If Bella finds out, he’ll be looking down the barrel of my gun. And you can tell him that the next time you see him,” Charlie glared.

“I’ll be sure to do that,” I nodded.

“Bella’s upstairs,” Charlie pointed, moving back to the living room.

“Thanks,” I murmured, heading towards the stairs.

At the top of the stairs, I turned to the closed door on the left, knocking lightly.

“Bells? Can I come in?” I called through the door.

“It’s open,” Bella answered.

I frowned slightly at the lifelessness of her voice. Pushing the door open, I found her sitting on her bed, hugging a pillow. Panic flashed through me as I hurried to kneel at her feet when I noticed the blank look on her face.

“Honey, what’s wrong?” I asked, stroking her cheek.

She met my eyes slowly, a small wrinkle forming between her brows.

“Who… Who’s Emily?”


Sam’s POV

Cans littered the room, making the entire house reek of pure sugar. I had no doubt that if any of the pack members stopped by, they’d think a vampire was in the house.

After Jake had walked out, I’d gone down to the local grocery store and bought out all of their energy drinks. They didn’t bring me out of my funk, but they did make me feel a little numb. Or maybe that was just the fact that my heart felt as though it had been ripped out.

A loud bang startled me out of my energy drink daze.

Jake stormed in, a wet faced Bella behind him. He was growling loudly, eyes narrowed on me.

“Explain. Now,” Jake snarled.

“Explain what?” I asked tiredly.

“Bella just asked me who Emily is. I thought it best if you explained it,” Jake barked at me.

“Well how the hell did she find out about that?” I asked, anger bubbling to the surface.

“Like that matters! You tell her right the fuck now, Sam, or so help me, I will beat your Alpha ass into next January!” Jake threatened.

“Stop it!” Bella screamed, stepping between us.

Her shoulders were heaving as tears streamed down her face. She turned to face me, her arms wrapped around herself. My heart broke as I took in her defeated expression. I stood up, reaching out to touch her. I practically whimpered when she flinched away from me.

“Bella, sweetheart, please,” I begged.

“Tell me who she is, Sam,” Bella whispered.

“She’s my ex-girlfriend. We were going to get married. But then I phased and I… I hurt her. It was an accident, but she never forgave me for it. I woke up one day and she was gone. That was three years ago,” I told her, bearing my heart.

She nodded, her top lip pulled between her teeth, eyes cast down.

“Sweetheart, it was a long time ago. And Jake helped me move on today,” I told her.

She looked up, hope glistening in her eyes.

“Look around, Bella. What do you see on the walls?” I asked, waving my hand around the room.

She did as I asked, looking at the newly blank walls. The places where the picture frames had hung were obvious from the difference in the paint color. As she turned around, looking at each wall, I met Jake’s eyes over her head. He looked smug, despite his still dark expression.

“Nothing,” Bella said, meeting my eyes again.

“Exactly. All those empty spaces, they used to be pictures. In each one of those pictures, was Emily. Now, look outside,” I instructed, opening the curtains to the front window.

She walked over and leaned across the couch, peaking out the window.

“Trash,” Bella murmured.

“Those pictures are now sitting outside, in trash bags, ready to go to the dump or where ever the hell it goes,” I informed her.

Her hand went to her mouth as she stood back, eyes bright with unshed tears.

“You shouldn’t… shouldn’t throw them away, Sam,” Bella whispered brokenly.

I frowned, confused as to what she was saying.

“Emily was a big part of your life. It’s… It’s okay to want to keep a piece of her around to remind you,” Bella breathed.

“You don’t understand, Bella. All those pictures, they brought so much pain with them. I’m happy that they’re gone,” I assured her.

“Then why were you sitting in the dark, downing energy drinks?” Bella asked quietly.

There was no accusation in her voice, just simple facts.

“It was more difficult than I thought it was going to be,” I admitted.

Bella smiled sadly, nodding her head.

“But, it’s a good kind of pain. It’s the kind that heals. It’s finally time for me to move on. With you… and, you know, Jake,” I chuckled wryly.

Bella laughed, her tears making it come out thicker than usual.

“Please, sweetheart, I promise things will get better,” I vowed, taking her hand.

She let me this time, telling me without words that she accepted my apology.

“Okay,” Bella mouthed, no sound coming out.

“I love you,” I murmured, leaning closer.

“I know,” Bella smiled.

Shaking my head slightly, I lowered my mouth to hers, capturing her lips in a simple, sweet kiss. I poured all my guilt, regret, love, and happiness into that single kiss. My arms branded around her, holding her as close as I possibly could without hurting her.

“I love you, I love you, I love you,” I moaned, kissing her between each one.

Her laughter filled the room, soaking into my bones, and a lightness came over my heart.

Jake nodded at me over her shoulder, clearly pleased.

“Why don’t we spend the day here? I’ve missed you,” I suggested, pulling her onto the couch.

“On one condition,” Jake interrupted.

“What’s that?” I asked, dreading the answer.

“Get rid of all these cans. The place reeks,” Jake insisted, wrinkling his nose.

“Wolves,” Bella clucked, rolling her eyes.

“Yeah, but more importantly, your wolves,” I replied.

“My wolves,” Bella hummed, snuggling into my side.


No comments:

Post a Comment