Monday, March 24, 2014

Alpha Beta Imprint: Chapter Twelve

Disclaimer: I am not Stephanie Meyer. I do not own Twilight.

Chapter Twelve

Jake’s POV

I sat at the kitchen table, going over the finer points of the new patrol route with Sam when Bella walked in, looking deliciously rumbled.

“Good morning,” Bella yawned, leaning down to give Sam and kiss before moving to give me one as well.

“Morning, sweetheart. How’d you sleep?” Sam asked warmly, watching her move around the kitchen.

“Like the dead, as if you didn’t know. You two wore me out,” Bella smiled.

“You weren’t exactly complaining last night,” I reminded her, folding up the map of La Push.

“Mmm. Why would I complain about having two sexy men bringing me pleasure again and again and again,” Bella humming, pouring herself a cup of hot chocolate.

“Now, Bella, you know if you say stuff like that, Sam’ll get an even bigger head,” I warned her.

“As if, Black. You’re the one whose ego doesn’t need any inflating,” Sam scoffed, tossing a pen at me.

“No throwing things in my kitchen,” Bella barked, setting up to cook breakfast.

“Your kitchen? What, you come in here and start cooking all our meals and suddenly it’s your kitchen?” Sam grumbled sarcastically.

“Unless you don’t want my cooking anymore, yes,” Bella threatened, raising an eyebrow in challenge.

“Don’t do it, man. The pack’ll kill you,” I stage whispered.

“Sweetheart, you know that’s what mine is yours,” Sam grinned.

“Uh-huh. That’s what I thought,” Bella muttered, turning back to the stove.

“Don’t listen to him, honey. He’s still testy from last night,” I assured her, getting up to wrap my arms around her waist.

“It’s a good idea, though. Besides, think about what a cell phone means for us. It opens up a whole new range of communication and… other things,” Bella trailed off suggestively.

“Really. What kind of other things?” I asked, tightening my hold.

“Oh, long night talks about boys, clothes, our feelings, all that jazz. Doesn’t it sound perfect?” Bella gushed, spinning in my arms.

“Uh… sure,” I agreed unsurely.

“Relax, Jake. I’m teasing,” Bella laughed, bumping me with her hip.

“I knew that,” I nodded.

“Right,” Sam drawled.

“Who asked you anyway,” I shot over my shoulder.

“No one. Just offering my opinion,” Sam shrugged.

“Hush, both of you. I feel like I’m dealing with five year olds half the time,” Bella exclaimed, throwing up her hands.

“I can assure you, Bells, I’m all man,” I smirked, pulling her against my growing erection that always seemed to come around when she was near.

“Yeah, well, put it away for now, big boy. I just want to hang out today, maybe watch the game and eat a lot of junk food,” Bella requested.

“That sounds perfect, sweetheart. Once you finish up with breakfast, we’ll see what we can find on TV and spend all day on the couch,” Sam told her.

I had to admit, I was looking forward to just spending some time with her. Yeah, the sex was awesome and I always wanted her, but the connection was deeper than that and I also wanted to know her, inside-out, good and bad.

“Eat up, then. I’m ready for a lazy day,” Bella grinned, putting breakfast on the table.

The frying pan was filled with scrambled eggs and sausage. There was a plate stacked full of toast and waffles next to a bowl of oatmeal with all the fixings.

“This looks really good, Bells,” I hummed, inhaling deeply.

“You better grab what you want fast. I hear Embry and Quil outside,” Sam warned, grabbing what he wanted.

No sooner had he spoken that the two idiots came barreling through the back door, talking loudly.

“There’s no way, man! That squirrel totally outran you!” Embry insisted, shoving Quil into the wall.

“Whatever, dude! I had it until it ran up the tree,” Quil scoffed, plopping down into a chair at the table.

“Good morning, boys,” Bella greeted, passing them a plate each.

“Morning, Bella,” Embry and Quil replied in unison.

“What are you two doing here this early?” I asked, frowning at them.

“We finished patrols and smelled Bella’s cooking,” Quil shrugged.

“Figured we’d stop by and help eat it all,” Embry grinned.

“You’re welcome to help yourselves to as much as you want,” Bella assured them with a smile.

“Don’t encourage them, Bells,” I whined.

“Oh, hush. They’re your brothers,” Bella admonished.

“Doesn’t mean I like them invading our time with you,” I grumbled.

“No worries, Jake-man. We’ll be gone once all the cuddling starts. That shit’s gross,” Embry complained, wrinkling his nose.

“Shut up and eat your breakfast,” Sam glared, slapping him in the back of the head.

“Not our fault your imprint has you two whipped,” Quil smirked.

“Oh, really, Quil? Is that how you feel? Because I really don’t have a problem kicking you out of this house without food,” Bella warned darkly.

“No, no, no! Um, you don’t have them whipped. They just do it out of devotion and all that crap. I mean, who wouldn’t with a girl like you,” Quil quickly amended, laying it on thick.

“Eyes on your plate, asshole, or I’ll kick you out,” I growled.

“Enough. All of you eat or I’ll kick you all out for the day and invite the girls over for a girl’s day,” Bella threatened.

“Sorry,” four voices mumbled back.

Bella smiled contently before starting on her own breakfast, seated between Sam and I. Conversation soon turned to the new patrol schedule for the following week. Everyone seemed relieved Sam was allowing the pack to pull away from watching Bella at school.

Just as we were finishing up and Bella was rising to clear the table, the front door slammed open and Paul walked in with Brady and Collin behind him.

“Aw, man! We missed breakfast,” Paul complained.

“Have a seat and I’ll whip up some eggs and sausage for you,” Bella smiled, grabbing the skillet.

“You’re the best, Bella,” Collin grinned, giving her a kiss on the cheek.

“And you are the sweetest,” Bella cooed, patting his cheek.

“Aw, how cute! Little Collin and Bella,” Quil jeered.

“Don’t make me hit you with this skillet, Quil,” Bella warned, waving it dangerously.

“Sorry! Sorry! Don’t hit me!” Quil cried, diving under the table.

“Jesus, man, show a little backbone,” Paul insisted, kicking at him.

Quil yelped under the table causing the rest of us to laugh. Sam stood up and moved to help Bella with fixing breakfast for the others and I stood and cleared off the table so she wouldn’t have to do it later. The others continued shoving and insulting each other, raising the noise level in the house to almost painful decibels.

I glanced over at Bella to find her smiling happily as she stirred eggs and crumpled sausage together. I knew she liked having the pack over, but I was a little disappointed they had ruined our plans for the day already. By the time Bella had fed Paul, Brady, and Collin breakfast, Embry and Quil would be calling for lunch. No doubt the rest of the pack would show up at some point and by dinner, we’d have a full house.

Sometimes, I missed the days when everyone knew not to come by Sam’s without permission. Ever since Bella became a part of the pack, they all wanted to come spend time here with her. She’d changed Sam so much, he liked having the house full. It was better than when he used to sit alone in the dark.

“Jake, man! Eyes on the prize!” Paul shouted, throwing a piece of toast at me.

“What the hell are you talking about, Paul?” I grumbled, snatching the toast and throwing it back at him.

“The sink’s about to overflow,” Paul pointed out, laughing.

“Shit!” I cursed, turning off the water quickly.

“Thank you for cleaning up, sweetie,” Bella murmured, coming over to kiss me.

Okay, so maybe it wasn’t all bad having the pack over.


Bella’s POV

I was lying on the couch, my head in Jake’s lap, my feet in Sam’s. I wiggled my toes and gave him a pointed look as the pack cheered for the Seahawks on TV.

“Yes?” Sam drawled, grinning down at me.

“Please. Pretty, pretty please, will you warm my toes?” I pleaded, giving him my best pitiful look.

“All you have to do is ask,” Sam chuckled, enfolding my ice cold toes in his overly warm hands.

“Holy hell, sweetheart. Your toes are freezing,” Sam frowned, rubbing them to increase friction.

“It’s not my fault. The house is cold,” I complained.

“That’s because you complain at night that it’s too hot,” Jake murmured in my ear.

“It is, when I’m sandwiched between the two of you,” I huffed.

“So you should just stay sandwiched between us all the time,” Jake smirked, wrapping his arm around my shoulders.

“I wouldn’t complain,” I grinned, reaching up to hold his arm in place.

“YES! TOUCHDOWN!” Paul shouted, jumping up.

I laughed as the other celebrated this small victory over the Rams.

It was Leah who reacted first, growling low in her throat as her nose twitched furiously. Instantly, the entire pack quieted and Sam and Jake stood up, leaving me alone on the couch, wondering what was going on.

“That bitch,” Leah growled, her lips curled over her teeth.

Kim was suddenly at my side, grasping my hand tightly in hers. I looked at her, trying to figure out what was going on, but she was watching Jared. I turned my attention to my wolves, worried there was a vampire nearby, possibly one of the Cullens, but they were having another one of their silent conversations. Jake looked ready to tear something apart and Sam… Sam looked like he was about to fall apart.

“Sam,” I murmured, reaching out to touch him.

He grabbed hold of my hand and held on tightly, turning the tips of my fingers purple. I winced against the pain and Jake growled lowly, making Sam drop my hand like a hot cake.

“What’s going on?” I asked softly, barely audible over the now numerous growls in the room.

No one answered and I was beginning to really worry when there was a soft knock at the door. Everyone froze, the only sound coming from the TV as the Seahawks made a recovery and ran an eighty yard return, leaving them just ten yards to the endzone.

The knocked sounded again, a little louder this time.

Figuring no one was going to answer the door, I stood slowly, keeping an eye on Sam and Jake as I moved towards the front door.

“Bella, no,” Jake hissed, reaching to grab my arm.

“Jake! Stop it,” I scolded.

“You don’t want to answer that door,” Jake warned quietly.

“Why? Is it a vampire?” I asked, not moving.

“No,” Jake bit out.

“Okay, well, I’m going to go see who it is,” I said slowly.

“No, please. Just let them leave,” Jake pleaded, his tone desperate.

“What is going on with all of you?” Kim piped up from the couch.

Jake turned his attention to Kim, allowing me to slip out of his hold and move closer to the door. I grabbed the handle as another knock sounded, louder than the one before.

“Bella!” Jake whispered furiously.

“I’ll send them away,” I promised before pulling the door open.

A young woman stood on the other side, dressed in a pair of dark washed skinny jeans and a flowy silk top that showed over her voluptuous curves with a plunging neckline. Her hair seemed to dance around her shoulder, cut in short, choppy layers and her booted heels put her a good five inches taller than me.

It wasn’t until I took in her face that I realized exactly who it was I was looking at. Three scars traveled down the side of her face and onto her neck, marring an otherwise perfect visage. Her brown eyes looked at me curiously as I stood in the doorway, staring at my Sam’s ex-girlfriend.

“Hello, I’m Emily Young. I’m looking for Sam Uley. Does he still live here?” Emily asked politely.

“You bitch!” came a screech from behind me.

I was roughly shoved out of the way as Leah took my spot in the doorway.

“How dare you show up after all this time! And looking for Sam, no less! Do you have any idea what your leaving did to him?” Leah shrieked.

I winced at her high pitch and her words. Despite the fact that I knew Sam had loved Emily, I hadn’t had to face the reality of it since the day he’d thrown out all her pictures. And now, to see her in person and know how beautiful she must have been before the scars, I began to wonder what it was Sam found so attractive about me.

“Leah, please, I didn’t come here to fight with you. I just want to talk to Sam,” Emily said calmly.

“You don’t deserve to talk to him! You left, Emily, without a word to anyone. He looked for you for months, searching every possible place you might have gone. You didn’t write, you didn’t call, you didn’t let him know you were okay. He spent three years worrying about you, wondering if you were alright. You’ve got a lot of guts showing up like this and expecting him to want to talk to you,” Leah sneered.

I glanced over at where Sam stood with the rest of the pack, watching the door. Sam, though, kept his eyes glued to me, his expression pained as his fingers twitched at his side. My heart ached at his obviously hurt and I rushed to him, burrowing into his chest as his arms branded around me.

“I know what I did was wrong, but really, Leah, I don’t see how it’s any of your business. This is between me and Sam, so if he’s in, which I know he is, let me talk to him,” Emily demanded.

“Fat chance,” Leah snapped, slamming the door in her cousin’s face.

Sam leaned down to bury his face in my neck, breathing deeply. I felt Jake come up behind me, wrapping me in a cocoon of security and love. I felt tears building as Jake gently began rubbing my hip and Sam held me tighter, shivering against me.

“Alright, everybody out! Come back tomorrow morning and we’re going to have a nice long chat about this!” Leah commanded from the front door.

I ignored everyone as they filed out, all of them talking amongst themselves. A few patted Sam on the shoulder while others murmured words of encouragement on their way out. In a few minutes, only Leah was left.

“Don’t worry, guys. We’ll figure this out,” Leah promised, starting out the door.

“Thank you, Leah,” Jake nodded.

“Anytime,” Leah winked.

I gave her a small smile before she left, closing the door behind her. Jake walked over and locked the door for the first time since I’d been here. Sam was still trembling against me, struggling under his raging emotions.

“Sam?” I questioned quietly, stroking his chest.

He gave a violent shiver in response and his arms tightened even more. I looked over at Jake, at a lost about what to do.

“Come on, man. Let’s go to bed,” Jake suggested gently, placing a hand on Sam’s shoulder and turning him to the bedroom.

Sam allowed Jake and I to steer him into the bedroom. Once inside, I managed to get him to sit on the edge of the bed and began helping him undress. As I worked, he watched me, his eyes following my every move. When he was completely bare, I placed my hand on his cheek and leaned down to give him a soft kiss.

“I love you. Everything’s going to be just fine,” I whispered, looking straight into his eyes.

With a strangled groan, Sam hauled me back into his arms, flipping us over so we were lying on the bed. Jake had already turned down the covers and pulled them up around us as Sam and I settled in beside him.

“He probably won’t try anything just yet, honey, but I’m sure he’s going to want to claim you soon. When that happens, he may not want me around, but if you feel uncomfortable, tell me and I’ll stay,” Jake murmured, his hand on my hip.

I nodded, letting him know I understood as I reached down and tangled our fingers together.

“Don’t let her showing up get to you, Bells. He loves you more than he ever loved her. He’s just in shock,” Jake reassured me.

“I know, Jake. I’m okay,” I said, flashing him a smile over my shoulder.

Sam kept looking between the two of us, his hand reaching up to trace over my face. I wondered briefly if this was some wolf thing, but pushed the thought off and simply focused on making Sam feel better.

With Sam’s arms no longer around me, I worked at taking off my jeans and t-shirt. It proved to be a little more difficult seeing as I was lying down, but I managed to get down to just my bra and panties. When that was done, I snuggled in closer to Sam’s body, pressing my ear right up against his heart. I pulled the hand that had been tracing my face and placed it against my own steadily beating heart.

Surrounded by warmth on both sides and the gentle lull of Sam’s breathing, I found myself falling asleep despite my intentions to stay awake for my wolf.

“Sleep, sweetheart. I love you. Always.”


Sam’s POV

I sat at the table early the next morning, nursing a mug of coffee after staying up all night watching Bella sleep. Her body pressed against mine, her easy breathing, had helped calm the rage inside of me.

When I’d smelt Emily outside the house, every nerve in my body ached to phase, the old anger and resentment at her leaving made it nearly impossible to control. I had drawn on the pack, needing their strength to keep from losing control. Of course, that had also left them all immobile while my anger coursed through them as well. No one had been able to answer the door and, despite Jake trying to stop her, Bella had basically been forced to open the door.

I was glad Leah had been able use her own anger to overcome mine.

“Hey, man,” Jake greeted, coming into the kitchen.

“Hey. Coffee’s on the stove,” I nodded, taking a sip of my own.

“So, how’d you sleep?” Jake asked, pouring himself a cup.

“I didn’t,” I grumbled as he sat in front of me.

“Sorry,” Jake frowned, pouring creamer into his drink.

“It’s alright, I guess,” I shrugged.

We were quiet for a while, both of us just focusing on our coffee.

“Do you need to talk about it?” Jake asked, shifting slightly.

With anyone else, I would brush it off, act like everything was perfectly fine. But Jake had been there for me when Emily left, he was the one who stuck around when I was at my darkest. Jake stood against me while I raged at the walls, throwing furniture, and basically tearing down the house. I knew I could tell him anything and it wouldn’t go any further, even with the pack mind.

“I don’t know what to do about this. I feel so angry at her. When I smelt her last night, I really thought I was going to phase right in the living room. If I hadn’t drawn on the pack strength, I would have. God, Bella would’ve been too close. There’s no way she would’ve survived if I’d lost control,” I told him gruffly.

“I know. I felt it,” Jake said, clearing his throat.

“I hate her. I hate her so fucking much for doing this to me. It’s been three years, Jake. Three fucking years! I… I thought she must be dead. I couldn’t track her, no one knew where she was. There was no sign of her anywhere. And for her to just show up,” I trailed off, my body starting to tremble.

“I know, man. I know. Just, keep calm, okay. Bella will be getting up soon. Don’t let her see you so bent out of shape over Emily,” Jake soothed.

“You’re right. You’re right,” I agreed, taking deep breaths.

Right on cue, my name sounded from the bedroom. Before I could even respond, rapid footfalls thundered into the kitchen and our imprint appeared, looking panicked.

“Oh my God. I woke up and you guys weren’t there. I thought something happened,” Bella breathed, hurrying towards me.

“Shh, sweetheart. Everything’s fine,” I cooed, pulling her onto my lap and stroking her hair.

“So you’re feeling better?” Bella asked, worriedly caressing my face.

“Much better,” I assured her, placing a kiss at the juncture of her neck and shoulder.

“Good. I was worried about you,” Bella frowned.

“I’m sorry. I know I scared you,” I sighed.

“It’s alright. Just as long as you’re okay now,” Bella smiled, hugging my neck.

“How can I not be with you around?” I chuckled.

Bella laughed, hopping off my lap to go around and give Jake a good morning kiss.

“Breakfast?” Bella asked, going to the fridge.

“Sounds good. What’re you fixing?” Jake smirked, propping his feet up on her chair.

“How does bacon and waffles sound?” Bella asked, laughing.

“Perfect,” Jake grinned.

“Good. Come help,” Bella demanded, tossing the bacon at him.

“Aw, come on, honey! You make it so much better than me,” Jake wheedled.

“Nice try. You’re helping,” Bella snorted, pulling out the waffle mix.

“What about Sam? He doesn’t have to help,” Jake pouted.

“Yeah, but he also stayed up all night,” Bella shot back.

“How do you know that?” I asked, knowing she’d slept all night.

“I know you,” Bella shrugged.

I smiled, knowing exactly what she meant. It was just that easy and part of being together. We could all read each other so easily. It came with being in a relationship together. We learned each other’s habits, each other’s quirks.

I watched Jake and Bella work, content to sit back and enjoy their light banter as Bella chastised Jake for trying to burn the bacon and Jake whined about undercooked waffles. They worked well together, despite all their back and forth. There was a knowledge of each other imbedded in them and they moved flawlessly around the small room.

“Breakfast is served,” Bella grinned, placing the plate of waffles on the table with a flourish.

“Smells amazing, sweetheart,” I complimented, stacking five on my plate.

“Hey, what about my bacon?” Jake complained.

“Looks a little black around the edges, man,” I pointed out with a snort.

“It’s extra flavor!” Jake exclaimed.

“Sure,” I drawled, pouring my syrup.

“Fine. More for me,” Jake huffed, loading his plate.

“Wait! I want a few of those. There were some that weren’t too badly burnt,” Bella insisted, poking around the pile.

“Get your fingers out of my food, woman!” Jake hollered.

“Don’t you woman me or you’ll be eating steel for breakfast!” Bella threatened, indicating the skillet.

Jake continued grumbling under his breath, but I knew Bella noticed the smile threatening to break through since she leaned over and placed a loud kiss to his cheek.

“Wanna try that again, honey? I think you miss,” Jake grinned, leaning towards her.

“You’re intolerable,” Bella laughed, meeting him half way.

His hand came up to cup the back of her head and he thrust his tongue into her mouth, quickly dominating her. I swallowed thickly, already smelling her arousal in the air as she moved to deepen the kiss. Her hands fisted in his hair, pulling him closer. His free hand went down to the side of her breast, his thumb reaching over to brush across her taught nipple.

“Jake,” Bella moaned, breaking the kiss.

“Mmm. Now, that’s an apology,” Jake smirked.

“Jerk,” Bella said, but she smiled as she settled back in her seat.

“You know you like it,” Jake sang.

“Don’t make me rethink that skillet,” Bella warned.

“Our girl is violent,” Jake told me, shaking his head.

“Don’t I know it,” I agreed.

“Just so long as neither of you forget it,” Bella said, pointing a finger as us both.

“I doubt we could, even if we tried,” I assured her.



No comments:

Post a Comment